Friday, September 12, 2008

Another whinge from me!

http://www.888dag.com/

I organised to get Yellow Fever injection ready for my trip to Sierra Leone, my birthplace, in November.

I got to the Medical Centre and was giving details to the receptionist. She asked me for my phone number and I said I didnt have one. No point in giving my mobile if I cant answer them!! She gave me a funny look as if so say no one walks around with a phone. I explained that I was Deaf therefore it would be useless giving a phone number if I cant answer it. She asked if I had another number like next of kin or a friend's. Well my next of kin is my husband who is also Deaf. Most of my close friends are Deaf so....pointless!!! Eventually she agreed to leave this part blank!

She asked me to wait so I did. I read a book and then about 45 minutes went by...thought..mmm...abit long for my liking so I went up to the reception to ask how much longer. She said she already called my name but I didn't hear her so she put be back down to the bottom of the queue. What a cheek!!

So, I thought to myself, breathe, breathe, breathe. Ok fine I ll just go back to my very warm seat and wait for my turn!! Another hour went past and I thought enough was enough. I asked at reception again to see if my name was any closer and she said that it would be about 20 minutes. I asked why some people who came after me was going before me?? She said they gave priority to private patients!!! F^cking hell! Why didn't they explain that to me so I can be totally prepared!! Now considering signing up with a health fund.

Back to my seat and this time I watched very hard to the receptionist each time she called out a name and it was mine!!! Hurrah!

Had a doctor who was Indian....has an extremely difficult Indian accent and communicating was hard...she was not willing to write down what she was saying so I got abit miffed with her! She started yelling at me and I explained she didnt need to yell just talk and I will do my best...didnt get very far but managed to reach to the point when we both agreed I just needed Yellow Fever injection and told me to go and wait by the door. There were 7 doors...which one....I asked which one and she just quickly pointed...still unclear...so I knocked on each door until the 3rd one!

Waited there for 5 minutes then a nurse came in mumbling away. Please....please!!! She was finally easy to follow and gave me the needle!! Arrgghh! But after 2.5 hours it was done and she said it was compulsory for me to sit outside the room for half an hour to ensure my body was taking it ok......god....couldn't wait another minute in that surgery!!!

So, thats my another whinge....another day....another obstacle over and done with!!! Breathe breathe breathe!!!

6 comments:

888 The Av 'n Gav Show 888 said...

wow! 2 and a half hours for one injection, that is a bit much. Well better things coming up to think about ...

Madame Synesthesia said...

Your story makes me angry, Lise! Why wouldn't the doctor write down what they were saying?! Maybe it's because doctors' handwriting is usually illegible anyway... Well, I'm sorry you had to go through that, but at least you've got your injection and you're ready for your holiday in Sierra Leone! The cup is half full :)
xx

sydhappyguy said...

OMG!!! That deserves a letter of complaint!!! Lucky you can cut-n-paste from the blog!!! Seriously, you get treated like such sh4t by the public health system (witness Katrina). I decided long ago to find a good private-only practice (holdsworth house). You pay $65 up front and they refund half of it back to your account directly from medicare. $32.50 to be treated like a human being with a doctor who knows you and cares about you is an investment that I think is well worth it. *wink*

Lise said...

Oh goodness!! I am now doing my research on health funds so if anyone has any recommendations, let me know!! Have since calmed down but its infuriating!!

schatzi said...

How INFURIATING!! First of all I would definitely write a couple of choice words in a letter. I understand the public medical staff are under great pressure, but they are also in a profession where they should show more care and compassion. Secondly, I agree with happyguy that having a good private doctor, with whom you can build a lasting relationship and who knows you and your family, is invaluable. I have been with NIB since I've been in Oz and have no complaints. Was in hospital 3 weeks before Miss M was born and she was in intensive care for a month and all I had to pay was $500 excess. Can give you more info if you need.

Lise said...

Thanks for your advice and am shopping around to see what is suitable for our needs!